Sunday, September 23, 2012

Making a quilt for Baby Cole

Hello,

I'm in the process of making a quilt for my new grandson due in November 2012! I think I've briefly mentioned it here or there ;)

Just wanted to stop by to show you the progress on it, its my first. I've made a crocheted quilt before but have never tried a fabric style until now.
These are the fabric choices that My daughter & I settled on and my quilt block template. There are easier templates but this was inexpensive and it worked.
I used a disappearing ink pen and a ruler to mark my fabric.
I did use dressmakers chalk on the darker fabric because the purple ink didn't show up. I still have a piece of dressmakers chalk that my Mom use to use, its a keepsake for me now that she's gone. I also gave myself the option of using a rotary wheel or my scissors, which one won out? hmm
I ended up using my rotary wheel for a few cuts and then switched over to my trusty scissors, I guess we all have our preferences :)
The top of the quilt! All the rows have been sewn together and pinned to the batting. I have made an error somewhere on this quilt top, can you pick it out?
This is the backing for the quilt, its very soft...just right for a little one.
I have a computerized machine, a New Memory Home, which allows many choices for machine quilting. I used a ruler and a disappearing ink pen to mark my stitching lines.
A closer look at the stitching.
And finally the dotted "Minky" that I'm using as a backing for the quilt, I've pinned this too instead of basting, I find it easier & quicker and it still holds great.
 
Next is the binding so I'll be back soon,
 
Michelle
 


 
 

No comments: